If the at-fault driver cannot be located, you will still be able to make a claim for damages under the UM (uninsured motorist) coverage of your own automobile policy. In this case, it is crucial that you already carry UM insurance at the time of the accident, which applies to both car and bicycle accidents. If you do not hold UM coverage, you can often make a PIP (Personal Injury Protection) claim under your own personal car insurance policy. PIP coverage comes standard with all car insurance policies at a minimum of $3,000 of payout (although coverage of $5,000, $10,000, and even $100,000 can be purchased) to pay for your primary medical costs.